Main Article Content
Dopamine and D2 dopaminergic agonists inhibit endothelial growth factor (VEGF). This effect has been proven in many types of cancer and in ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Experimental studies indicate the potential use of these substances in the treatment of eye diseases with increased VEGF release, such as exudative AMD, diabetic macular edema and proliferative diabetic retinopathy. This paper presents a review of the latest literature on the potential use of D2 dopaminergic agonists in the treatment of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) related diseases.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (email@example.com)
2. Babigian HM, Odoroff CL. The mortality experience of a population with psychiatric illness. Amer J Psychiat. 1969; 126: 470.
3. Carlsson A. Does dopamine play a role in schizophrenia? Psychol Med. 1977; 7: 583-97.
4. Fond G, Macgregor A, Attal J et al. Antipsychotic drugs: Pro-cancer or anti-cancer? A systematic review. Med Hypotheses. 2012; 79; 38-42.
5. Teunis MA, Kavelaars A, Voest E et al. Reduced tumor growth, experimental metastasis formation, and angiogenesis in rats with a hyperreactive dopaminergic system. FASEB J. 2002; 16: 1465-7.
6. Basu S, Nagy JA, Pal S et al. The neurotransmitter dopamine inhibits angiogenesis induced by vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor. Nat Med. 2003; 7: 569-74.
7. Chakroborty D, Sarkar C, Basu Mitra R et al. Depleted Dopamine in Gastric Cancer Tissues: Dopamine Treatment Retards Growth of Gastric Cancer by Inhibiting Angiogenesis. Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 10: 4349-56.
8. Basu S, Dasgupta PS. Decreased dopamine receptor expression and its second-messenger cAMP in malignant human colon tissue. Dig Dis Sci. 1999; 44: 916-21.
9. Wick MM. Dopamine: a novel antitumor agent active against B-16 melanoma in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 1978; 71: 163-4.
10. Chakroborty D, Baral R, Chowdhury UR et al. Dopamine regulates endothelial progenitor cell mobilization from mouse bone marrow in tumor vascularization. J Clin Invest. 2008; 118: 1380-9.
11. Moreno-Smith M, Lu C, Shahzad MMK et al. Dopamine blocks stress-mediated ovarian carcinoma growth. Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 3649-59.
12. Novella-Maestre E, Carda C, Noguera I et al. Dopamine agonist administration causes a reduction in endometrial implants through modulation of angiogenesis in experimentally induced endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2009; 24: 1025-35.
13. Senogles SE. D2 dopamine receptor-mediated antiproliferation a small cell lung cancer cell line, NCI-H69. Anticancer Drugs. 2007; 18: 801-7.
14. Roy S, Lu K, Nayak MK et al. Activation of D2 dopamine receptors in CD133+ve cancer stem cells in nonsmall cell lung carcinoma inhibits proliferation, clonogenic ability and invasiveness of these cells. J Biol Chem. 2017; 292(2): 435-45.
15. Chakroborty D, Sarkar C, Yu H et al. Dopamine stabilizes tumor blood vessels by upregulating angiopoietin-1 expression in pericytes and Kruppel-like factor-2 expression in tumor endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci. USA 2011; 108: 20730-5.
16. Tissier P, Fedele M, Fusco A et al. Complementary actions of dopamine D2 receptor agonist and anti-VEGF therapy on tumoral vessel normalization in a transgenic mouse model. Int J Cancer. 2017; 140: 2150-61.
17. Sarkar C, Chakroborty D, Chowdhury UR et al. Dopamine increases the efficacy of anticancer drugs in breast and colon cancer preclinical models. Clin Cancer Res. 2008; 14: 2502-10.
18. Sarkar C, Chakroborty D, Dasgupta PS et al. Dopamine is a safe anti-angiogenic drug which can also prevent 5-fluorouracil induced neutropenia. Int J Cancer. 2015; 137(3): 744-9.
19. Ferrero H, García-Pascual CM, Gomez R et al. Dopamine receptor 2 activation inhibits ovarian vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in vitro: implications for treatment of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome with dopamine receptor 2 agonists. Fertil Steril. 2014; 101: 1411-8.
20. Chung SD, Ho JD, Hu CC et al. Increased Risk of Parkinson Disease Following a Diagnosis of Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014; 157: 464-9.
21. Lee SE, Han K, Baek JY et al. Association Between Diabetic Retinopathy and Parkinson Disease: The Korean National Health Insurance Service Database. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018; 103: 3231-8.
22. Brilliant MH, Vaziri K, Connor TB et al. Mining Retrospective Data for Virtual Prospective Drug Repurposing: L-DOPA and Age-related Macular Degeneration. Am J Med. 2016; 129: 292-8.
23. Danieluk K, Swiech-Zubilewicz A, Oseka M et al. Biological model of Zebrafish – a new research trend in ophthalmology for an antiangiogenic treatment. EVER, Nicea 2017.
24. Swiech-Zubilewicz A, Danieluk K, Dolar-Szczasny J et al. Dopamine agonists – a new way to inhibit pathological angiogenesis in zebrafish model. ARVO, Vancouver 2019.
25. Oseka M, Swiech-Zubilewicz A, Danieluk K et al. The inhibitory effect of D2 dopaminergic agonists on VEGF and VEGF-R genes expression and blood vessels formation. EVER, Nicea 2019.