Main Article Content
Troxerutin is a well and for a long time known substance, it is a semi-synthetic bioflavonoid derived from rutin. Original substance is supplied from flowers of Styphnolobium japonicum tree.
The author discusses actual medical effects of troxerutin, including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antithrombosis and protecting endothelium of small vessels.
Being water-soluble, it can be used as ophthalmic drops in treatment of subconjunctival haemorrhage, vitreous haemorrhage and early stages of diabetic retinopathy.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. He H, Bai Y, Zhao Z et al. Local and traditional uses, phytochemistry, and pharmacology of Sophora japonica L. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016; 187: 160-82.
3. Zamanian M, Bezmandegan G, Sureda A et al. The Protective Roles and Molecular Mechanisms of Troxerutin (Vitamin P4) for the Treatment of Chronic Diseases: A Mechanistic Review. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2021; 19: 97-110.
4. Fahmideh F, Marchesi N, Campagnoli LIM et al. Effect of troxerutin in counteracting hyperglycemia-induced VEGF upregulation in endothelial cells: a new option to target early stages of diabetic retinopathy? Front Pharmacol. 2022; 13: 951833.
5. Ahmadi Z. Mohammadinejad R, Roomiani S et al. Biological and Therapeutic Effects of Troxerutin: Molecular Signaling Pathways Come into View. J Pharmacopuncture. 2021; 24: 1-13.
6. Qadiri A, Bavil FM, Hamidian GR et al. Administration of troxerutin improves testicular function and structure in type-1 diabetic adult rats by reduction of apoptosis. Avicenna J Phytomed. 2019; 9: 374-85.
7. Aziz Z, Tang WL, Chong NJ et al. A systematic reviev of the efficacy and tolerability of hydroxyethylorutosides for improvement of the signs and symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2015; 40: 177-85.
8. Nonikashvili Z, Jūratė Gerbutavičienė R. Ginkgo biloba, troxerutin and heptaminol chlorhydrate combined treatment for the management of venous insufficiency and hemorrhoidal crises. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2022; 26: 5200-9.
9. Tash NG, Cimen FK, Karakurt Y et al. Protective effects of Rutin against methanol induced acute toxic neuropathy: an experimental study. Int J Ophthalmol. 2018; 11: 780-5.
10. Celik A, Ersoy OF, Ozkan N et al. Comparison of effects of troxerutin and heparinoid on flap necrosis. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010; 63: 875-83.
11. Glacet-Bernard A, Coscas G, Chabanel A et al. A Randomized, Double-Masked study of the Treatment od Retinal Vein Occlusin With Troxerutin. AJO. 1994; 118: 421-9.
12. Kaul A, Short WD, Wang X et al. Hyaluronidases in Human Diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 3204.
13. Wang C, Pang Y. Nano-based eye drop: Topical and noninvasive therapy for ocular diseases. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2023; 194: 114721.