Main Article Content
The highly contagious virus SARS-CoV-2 that causes the serious respiratory disease COVID-19 has posed a tremendous challenge to our daily optometric and ophthalmologic contact lens practice.
The pandemic is still evolving. Its impact on public health has been significant and intensified and will result in significant economic and social changes. In the time of coronavirus, contactology is undoubtedly becoming more difficult. We should focus on both safety and the personalization of procedures and solutions that are offered to correct vision defects. Nevertheless, we should remember that ophthalmologic and optometric tests that are performed in accordance with epidemiological guidelines are not associated with a higher risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (email@example.com)
2. Fadel D. Reasons Contact Lens Wear Isn’t A Problem with COVID-19 Despite conflicting reports, lens wearers are just as safe as ever, as long as patients adhere to proper wear and care instructions. Rev Optom. 2020 [epub ahead of print].
3. Jones L, Walsh K, Wilcox M et al. The COVID-19 pandemic: Important considerations for contact lens practitioners. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2020; 43(3): 196-203.
4. Ambroziak AM. Oko w oko z wirusem. Optyka. 2020; 2(63) 60-1.
5. Ambroziak AM. Bezpieczne Centrum Okulistyczne. Optyka. 2020; 3(64): 52-3.
6. BCLA Returning to Practice in COVID-19 Guidance. 2020.
7. UPDATE & Newsletter FROM ESCRS on COVID-19. 2020.
8. Colavita F, Lapa D, Carletti F et al. SARS-CoV-2 Isolation from Ocular Secretions of a Patient With COVID-19 in Italy with Prolonged Viral RNA Detection. Ann Intern Med. 2020; M20-1176.
9. Grupcheva C. How to use contact lenses and glasses safely during COVID-19: Patients’ Top 10 Questions Answered. Optyka. 2020; 3(64).
10. Willcox M, Walsh K, Nichols J. The ocular surface, coronaviruses and COVID-19. Clin Exp Optom. 2020.
11. UPDATE & Newsletter FROM ESCRS on COVID-19. 2020.
12. American Academy of Ophthalmology – Your Ophthalmologist is ready to see you. 2020.
13. COVID-19: College of Optometrists, UK – This contains the current guidance available for each nation and the latest updates from the College. 2020.