Main Article Content
This study assessed the quality of referral letters to the Glaucoma Outpatient Clinic and patients’ first consultation results. A retrospective study included 196 patients newly referred to the clinic. Referrals were mainly issued by ophthalmologists (156; 79.6%). Regarding their urgency level, the planned referrals (184; 93.9%) were dominant. The majority of referral diagnoses (147; 75%) were confirmed as glaucoma in the clinic, whereas 17 (8.2%) glaucoma diagnoses were rejected. 64 (32.7%) patients did not require further ophthalmological review. The assessment of the quality of referral letters revealed that important clinical data was missing. There is a need to improve the referral system to specialist glaucoma clinics in Poland.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (email@example.com)
2. Tham YC, Li X, Wong TY et al. Global prevalence of glaucoma and projections of glaucoma burden through 2040: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2014; 121(11): 2081-90. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2014.05.013.
3. Partyka O, Wysocki MJ. Epidemiology of eye diseases and ophthalmology infrastructure in Poland. Epidemiol Rev. 2015; 69(4): 905-8.
4. Founti P, Topouzis F, Holló G et al. Prospective study of glaucoma referrals across Europe: are we using resources wisely? Br J Ophthalmol. 2018; 102(3): 329-37. http://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2017-310249.
5. Bourne R, Taylor H, Flaxman S et al. Number of people blind or visually impaired by glaucoma worldwide and in world regions 1990- 2010: a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2016; 11(10): e0162229. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0162229.
6. Cheng J, Beltran-Agullo L, Trope GE et al. Assessment of the quality of glaucoma referral letters based on a survey of glaucoma specialists and a glaucoma guideline. Ophthalmology. 2014; 121(1): 126-33. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.08.027.
7. Bowling B, Chen SDM, Salmon JF. Outcomes of referrals by community optometrists to a hospital glaucoma service. Br J Ophthalmol. 2005; 89: 1102. http://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2004.064378.